I am retrofitting a ranch home in Michigan. Any comments on using a double layer of rigid foam board in a Cathedral Ceiling design as described in the link to the following article? - I appreciate any comments as I have a very similar situation - I am using 2" rigid foam board with a 1" vent channel ...
About the only time you are likely to add rigid insulation to a ceiling is in a retrofit of a cathedral ceiling.
We need advice on adding more insulation to the cathedral ceilings of our New Hampshire house (shown below). The roof consists of 4x8 rafters spaced every 32 inches and topped with pine boards that originally served as both sheathing and the finished ceiling. Over the sheathing is 1 in. of rigid foam insulation and then the roofing shingles.
Using spray foam on cathedral ceilings addresses common problems found with other insulation types. Because of its air sealing properties, spray foam in cathedral ceilings curbs a “stack effect” where heated air escapes through the ceiling and roof and is replaced in lower levels of the home by drawn-in, outdoor air.
foam and more foam (post #207357, reply #11 of 15) by Mongo in reply to tgmuller [original] on Mon, 02/11/2013 - 13:59 I'd tuck unfaced 3-1/2" FG batts into the rafter bays.
How to Fit Plasterboard to Ceilings. The Easy Way To Hang and Attach Drywall / Ceiling Boards - Duration: 3:39. Ceilingboard Hanger 2,754,056 views
Re: Rigid insulation over vaulted ceiling Wow I have a headache..Ok, if I add 1" foil over Foam. with the foil side towards the roof.This would be added after the house is built, therefor the foil,foam would have to be cut to fit between the rafters.
In Michigan, the Department of Energy recommends that cathedral ceilings be insulated to R-38, nearly three times the insulating value you get from 2 inches of polyisocyanurate foam. Unless you heat the room with some form of renewable energy (wood, solar or wind), the cost of keeping it comfortable only increases with time.
Adding a layer of rigid foam to the interior side of the rafters is a great idea because it helps eliminate the thermal bridging of the structure. Even better is to put the rigid foam to the roof layer but obviously that requires removal of the roof.
penetrating into the rafter insulation. 2. Cut AP Foil-Faced foam sheathing to fit snuggly between the rafters, and install against the baffles. Properly cut boards should friction-fit between the rafters without falling out. Secure insulation boards and seal all board edges using one-part canned foam. 3.
In fact, if you can’t afford to spray foam that cathedral/sloped ceiling, then I think installing up to 1″ of continuous foam over the Roxul is an excellent choice. Might be a good option for the floor area as well.
When Bob Kelly of Kensington, NH had to insulate a cathedral ceiling, he came up with a clever way of using rigid foam as his vent baffle, so that he could maximize the air value of his ceiling and easily air seal at the same time.
Adding insulation to cathedral ceilings. Scott Gibson, Contributing Editor. ... If you decide to add rigid foam insulation to the ceiling inside you'll have to nearly fill the rafter bays to get a layer of sufficient thickness. Another few inches isn't really going to do it.
When I acquired the house the previous owner was in the midst of a remodel, the cathedral ceiling is open from the interior. The house rafters are 2x12. There is a 2 inch vent channel under the roof sheathing created by attaching rigid foam pieces to the sides of rafters in contact with the underside of the sheathing.
The terms refer to whether the foam bubbles burst during curing, making the foam soft like a sponge, or remain intact and firm, like those in the rigid foam panels at home centers. Closed-cell foam ceiling insulation in a vaulted ceiling offers substantial advantages over open-cell.
Cathedral ceilings are open areas high below the roof for architecture and design. They are beautiful but must be properly insulated so as to keep the ceiling temperatures close to the room temperatures. Insulated cathedral ceilings are a relatively recent phenomenon that took off in the 1970s.
The cathedral ceiling in this older home is an important feature, but underperforming insulation made the room uncomfortable and expensive to heat and cool. The extremely cold weather that’s been buffeting most of the country has many homeowners thinking about insulation.
Most advice on their use is to build boxes of insulation around them in the attic out of rigid foam board, then heap loose insulation around them. A cathedral ceiling makes this harder to do, unless you have scissor trusses and locate the cans away from the walls where there is more depth for insulation around the cans.
Issue is my rafters are only 5.25" deep and code here is R-38 for vaulted ceiling insulation. So I am thinking rigid foam insulation board as its R Value is twice fiberglass or cellulose. Fiberglass is around R-3.3 while Rigid foam is R-6.5.
Hi there, first post. I'm building a tiny cabin, Pacific NW, right on the boarder between zone 4/5, 40miles east of Portland. I have vaulted ceiling/gable roof. No interior walls in yet. I have enough rigid board insulation to fill the void (iso). The sheathing was sealed to the rafters with adhesive sealant when laid down. Blocking at the soffets was sealed with silicone.
Closed-cell foam ceiling insulation in a vaulted ceiling offers substantial advantages over open-cell. First, closed-cell foam has a 60 percent higher R-value per inch than open-cell (6.3 vs. 3.9). The higher R-value reduces condensation when moist interior air hits the now “less-cold” ceiling (vice versa in summer with humid outside air and A/C inside).
"How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling" "How to Install Rigid Foam On Top of Roof Sheathing" Dana Dorsett | Oct 01, 2018 09:47am | #14. ... Closed cell foam is not a very "green" insulation material, even when blown with relatively benign HFO blowing agents.
- Synthetic Teak Decking
- Outdoor Wall Panel
- Ecological WPC Floor
- Best DIY Decking
- Impact Resistance PVC Fence
- Waterproof WPC Pergola
- Outdoor Other Products
- Boat Deck Install step
- Wall Panel Install step
- WPC Floor Install step
- DIY Decking Install step
- PVC Fence Install step
- WPC Fence Install step
- used fence for sale in north jersey
- how much is pool decking for 27 foot pool
- putting concrete under deck
- outdoor wood handrail homemade playdough
- how much are eco decking tile
- wall exterior panels from the amber
- vinyl boat flooring kit
- walmart patio furniture sales and deals
- decorative metal privacy panels outdoors unlimited
- wpc price per feet india
- kitchen tile backsplash gallery
- wpc wood decking sheet supplier
- porch tongue and groove wood decking
- alternative porch decking in poland
- three or four rail vinyl fence for cattle
- diy outdoor flooring over gras
- adjustable height pool floor
- can you spray paint composite wood
- formica bathroom wall panels
- vinyl fencing to skirt trailer
- decking straight on ground in finland
- pvc fencing per foot 3 rail fencing
- building wood deck on top of concrete patio
- deck machine supplier in norway
- filling screw holes on decking material
- how to cut railing post for side mount
- outside wood decoration wall panels
- garden bench with storage wooden
- outside composite plastic coverings for mattresses
- realistic composite deck options
- alternative decking material inexpensive vacations
- patio deck flooring under mesh
- types of composite decking material index
- wood plastic composite decking florida
- uv protection west deck flooring
- no pollution singapore diy decking
- shop flooring at courtyard inn
- robbins wood sports flooring
- cheap stainless steel cable railing
- menards 3 4 plywood tongue and grove
- marine non skid decking tile
- wholesale plastic decking singapore airlines
- garden fence border home depot
- composite pergola material hard
- outdoor rubber sport flooring
- professional outdoor decking price comparison
- garden wood plastic fence uk
- engineered wood modular decking for cement
- transparent patio deck panels
- external top sale decking timber
- pebble wash flooring singapore
- deck plans and cost estimates in germany
- composite garden fence free state of saxony
- outdoor decking on concrete utah
- cost for labor to replace new deck
- plastic decking online suppliers uk
- waterproof fast install flooring
- building deck on your mobile home
- indoor air quality building material
- wood for fence wholesale
- allure tile flooring home depot
- wood plastic floor for kitchen malaysia
- anti slip floor coating malaysia
- home deck ideas supplier
- engineered wood floor veneer comparisons with adjectives
- wood plastic composite white cladding in bathroom
- rocking adirondack chairs made of composite decking
- lightweight external facing material management
- beach bathroom pvc tongue an groove walls in us
- door and windows design in srilankan 2018
- plastic decking price supply
- garden privacy pvc fence design
- glass inserts for cabinets lowes
- supplier decking backyard design
- pvc flooring tasmania
- composite decking supplier in south east of england
- best paint for vinyl decking
- quality assurance outdoor decks sale
- wooden decking that is cantilevered
- composite decking kamloops weather