I am retrofitting a ranch home in Michigan. Any comments on using a double layer of rigid foam board in a Cathedral Ceiling design as described in the link to the following article? - I appreciate any comments as I have a very similar situation - I am using 2" rigid foam board with a 1" vent channel ...
About the only time you are likely to add rigid insulation to a ceiling is in a retrofit of a cathedral ceiling.
We need advice on adding more insulation to the cathedral ceilings of our New Hampshire house (shown below). The roof consists of 4x8 rafters spaced every 32 inches and topped with pine boards that originally served as both sheathing and the finished ceiling. Over the sheathing is 1 in. of rigid foam insulation and then the roofing shingles.
Using spray foam on cathedral ceilings addresses common problems found with other insulation types. Because of its air sealing properties, spray foam in cathedral ceilings curbs a “stack effect” where heated air escapes through the ceiling and roof and is replaced in lower levels of the home by drawn-in, outdoor air.
foam and more foam (post #207357, reply #11 of 15) by Mongo in reply to tgmuller [original] on Mon, 02/11/2013 - 13:59 I'd tuck unfaced 3-1/2" FG batts into the rafter bays.
How to Fit Plasterboard to Ceilings. The Easy Way To Hang and Attach Drywall / Ceiling Boards - Duration: 3:39. Ceilingboard Hanger 2,754,056 views
Re: Rigid insulation over vaulted ceiling Wow I have a headache..Ok, if I add 1" foil over Foam. with the foil side towards the roof.This would be added after the house is built, therefor the foil,foam would have to be cut to fit between the rafters.
In Michigan, the Department of Energy recommends that cathedral ceilings be insulated to R-38, nearly three times the insulating value you get from 2 inches of polyisocyanurate foam. Unless you heat the room with some form of renewable energy (wood, solar or wind), the cost of keeping it comfortable only increases with time.
Adding a layer of rigid foam to the interior side of the rafters is a great idea because it helps eliminate the thermal bridging of the structure. Even better is to put the rigid foam to the roof layer but obviously that requires removal of the roof.
penetrating into the rafter insulation. 2. Cut AP Foil-Faced foam sheathing to fit snuggly between the rafters, and install against the baffles. Properly cut boards should friction-fit between the rafters without falling out. Secure insulation boards and seal all board edges using one-part canned foam. 3.
In fact, if you can’t afford to spray foam that cathedral/sloped ceiling, then I think installing up to 1″ of continuous foam over the Roxul is an excellent choice. Might be a good option for the floor area as well.
When Bob Kelly of Kensington, NH had to insulate a cathedral ceiling, he came up with a clever way of using rigid foam as his vent baffle, so that he could maximize the air value of his ceiling and easily air seal at the same time.
Adding insulation to cathedral ceilings. Scott Gibson, Contributing Editor. ... If you decide to add rigid foam insulation to the ceiling inside you'll have to nearly fill the rafter bays to get a layer of sufficient thickness. Another few inches isn't really going to do it.
When I acquired the house the previous owner was in the midst of a remodel, the cathedral ceiling is open from the interior. The house rafters are 2x12. There is a 2 inch vent channel under the roof sheathing created by attaching rigid foam pieces to the sides of rafters in contact with the underside of the sheathing.
The terms refer to whether the foam bubbles burst during curing, making the foam soft like a sponge, or remain intact and firm, like those in the rigid foam panels at home centers. Closed-cell foam ceiling insulation in a vaulted ceiling offers substantial advantages over open-cell.
Cathedral ceilings are open areas high below the roof for architecture and design. They are beautiful but must be properly insulated so as to keep the ceiling temperatures close to the room temperatures. Insulated cathedral ceilings are a relatively recent phenomenon that took off in the 1970s.
The cathedral ceiling in this older home is an important feature, but underperforming insulation made the room uncomfortable and expensive to heat and cool. The extremely cold weather that’s been buffeting most of the country has many homeowners thinking about insulation.
Most advice on their use is to build boxes of insulation around them in the attic out of rigid foam board, then heap loose insulation around them. A cathedral ceiling makes this harder to do, unless you have scissor trusses and locate the cans away from the walls where there is more depth for insulation around the cans.
Issue is my rafters are only 5.25" deep and code here is R-38 for vaulted ceiling insulation. So I am thinking rigid foam insulation board as its R Value is twice fiberglass or cellulose. Fiberglass is around R-3.3 while Rigid foam is R-6.5.
Hi there, first post. I'm building a tiny cabin, Pacific NW, right on the boarder between zone 4/5, 40miles east of Portland. I have vaulted ceiling/gable roof. No interior walls in yet. I have enough rigid board insulation to fill the void (iso). The sheathing was sealed to the rafters with adhesive sealant when laid down. Blocking at the soffets was sealed with silicone.
Closed-cell foam ceiling insulation in a vaulted ceiling offers substantial advantages over open-cell. First, closed-cell foam has a 60 percent higher R-value per inch than open-cell (6.3 vs. 3.9). The higher R-value reduces condensation when moist interior air hits the now “less-cold” ceiling (vice versa in summer with humid outside air and A/C inside).
"How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling" "How to Install Rigid Foam On Top of Roof Sheathing" Dana Dorsett | Oct 01, 2018 09:47am | #14. ... Closed cell foam is not a very "green" insulation material, even when blown with relatively benign HFO blowing agents.
- Synthetic Teak Decking
- Outdoor Wall Panel
- Ecological WPC Floor
- Best DIY Decking
- Impact Resistance PVC Fence
- Waterproof WPC Pergola
- Outdoor Other Products
- Boat Deck Install step
- Wall Panel Install step
- WPC Floor Install step
- DIY Decking Install step
- PVC Fence Install step
- WPC Fence Install step
- best roofing for tropical climate facts
- black wood plastic sheet fencing sale sri lanka
- used plastic pallet supplier in chennai
- nature material plastic wood
- green building products canada
- backyard pool shadebox landscaping fence
- pool deck building material
- gazebo kits for sale sydney
- deals on composite decking in fort worth
- white bathroom composite wall board
- interior design for home decor
- composite decking board ie farming
- composite wood look floor rail
- average cost of above ground pool and deck
- composite pergola and its application ghana
- remodel kitchen cabinets and countertops
- gazebo ideas for a deck
- black foam board uk
- plastic pergola kit kit
- railing height for outside stairs
- garden retractable garden fence
- how to build square deck
- composite outdoor fencing privacy aluminum
- azek in deck storage cost
- house exterior cladding tile on sale
- buy maintenance free decking finland
- composite deck furniture harbor zamboanga
- corrugated plastic panels for screened in porch roof
- free standing balcony umbrellas
- country bathroom ideas with showers
- pvc decorative wall board manufacturer
- wooden floor waterproof decking material
- solid wood flooring in dubai
- lay tongue and groove flooring
- composite decking free delivery
- discount pvc decking board qatar
- cleaning solid wood floors
- above ground wood pool deck design software free
- high security fence and gates
- white waterproofing plastic wall panel
- buy pvc decking in ireland suppliers credit
- wood composite decking johannesburg
- porch floor calculating formula
- yard wood composite tile design
- wood plastic waterproof decking
- how to build decking stairs railing
- floor joists for composite decking
- composite fence distributor ny
- replacement wood cast wpc bench
- advantages of floor boards
- wood cedar shake siding maintenance
- walkway flooring related products
- water absorption mechanism in composites canada
- antifungal balcony decking material
- deck on sloped yard saudi arabia
- most common porch decking
- light weight plastic hollow decking material
- durable composite railing installation
- aluminum boat composite flooring
- cheap decking board company
- protect edges of plywood floor door plans
- best wood for jon boat deck
- pvc garage washable pvc wall panels ceiling sheet
- awesome fence made with recycled wood
- best quality laminate flooring on the market
- composite wood outside floor glasgow
- recycled rubber decking supplier in abu dhabi
- applications for plastic screens
- decking backyard design
- modular outside decks inexpensive christmas
- how to build sliding driveway gate fence
- monarch railing systems
- wood fence prices by the linear ft
- removing first board on composite deck
- construction specification in the philippines
- timber solid decking in bathroom
- above ground pool wpc deck veneer
- laser cut decorative flowers
- pvc ceiling panel trims
- resistant to erosion decking cost